Sunday, May 27, 2018

Critical Community

Out of breath and riding the high of feeling like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, I rattled on about the youth ministry and proudly showed off the room where the kids meet as my wide eyed friend took it all in stride for me. They’ve been visiting our church and her kids have expressed interest in coming to youth discipleship and since that is the ministry team I serve on, I enthusiastically walked her through what their afternoon would look like.

But since service had already begun, we scurried back down the hallway to get back to our families and worship. We passed by one of my dearest friends husbands who was busily making sure the kids classes were all sorted and ready to maximize their time together.

“Here ya are, Patrick!” I called out as we passed and slipped him the check I owed him. My friend and I quickly made our way back down the stairs and through the lobby before going our separate ways at the worship center. I settled into my seat next to my ER nursing friend and hugged her since it had been several weeks of work and travel that have kept us from seeing one another. Several songs in, and Patrick’s wife made her way to her seat by her kids, followed several minutes later by Patrick.

As service ended I grabbed the youth intern to chat about an event and then hit the door, I had to get on the road to my nieces 3rd birthday party. But as I settled in for the two hour drive north, I realized I hadn’t even spoken to one of my dearest friends, and reflected on how common that is for us at church.

“Do not forsake meeting together”

I don’t think that verse from Hebrews is addressing specifically “church” in a traditional context, although I believe that’s part of it.

How did this woman I barely talk to on Sunday mornings become a person I don’t just admire but deeply and personally love and respect?

The answer is in the title: community. We talk about how critical it is, but do we really get it? A church requires a lot of serving people to run smoothly. If you are where you should be on a Sunday morning you will find yourself simultaneously in worship and in ministry. The two go hand in hand and make a Sunday run smoothly and effectively. But having a job to do sometimes doesn’t allow for that relationship building time of two or more Christians lives.

We absolutely have to have community with other believers or you will be an anonymous face, not serving, not participating, and not being apart of the vitality of your church.

How do you view your time at church? Do you “go” to church, or are you apart of one? And do you understand what I’m trying to say when I ask that? You will eventually get bored of going to a church and being a no name character of the script. At some point you either leave or take part.

Don’t mistake me- I’m not saying jump on the fist most glamorous opportunity that comes along. Don’t call attention to yourself, but do plug in. Do find where you should serve. Do find a need and fill it. Do find the people you should be meeting with. Do find community. Do not just show up and leave every Sunday. We were made for so much more.

No comments: