Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Mountains past the Fog

I love the mountains. I love their beauty and their majesty and the glory I feel they represent. Its as if God placed them on earth to say to us "See how big I Am".

And yet yesterday, though I was in the mountains, I did not see the mountains. Not because I didn't look or wouldn't look, but because you simply could not see them. The fog was so dense, you could barely see quarter a mile down the road.

It gave me pause and made me think about my last blog post when I was constantly reassuring my heart of His goodness.

And then it hit me, He is still there, even when I can't see.

Its such a simple concept, and yet, standing in the valley, looking around for the mountains I knew were there, it sunk in. Those mountains are there. I have seen them a hundred times. Walked all over them, picked apples on them, had picnics on them, taken pictures on them and of them. The mountains are real, and beautiful. Yesterday, I could not see them. But behind the fog they were still there, still just as strong and big as they always have been. Yesterday the fog covered my eyes, and yesterday the fog was apart of my reality, but the sincerity of the fog did not in any way diminish the reality of the mountains.

In the same way, the sincerity of my circumstances in no way diminish the reality of God.

As I watched the fog, I began thinking about the Israelites (probably because my nephew was on this trip and to keep him happy we plugged in the Prince of Egypt), and the time they spent held captive in Egypt. I wondered if their circumstances may have caused them to no longer see that God was still a reality. Imagining what it must have been slaving for all those years under abusive conditions, and then what it was like when the gates swung open and Pharaoh finally said, "go". Imagine what it was like to finally see the reality of God and His promises, no longer tainted by your dark reality. Imagine to see what you have all along known and believed.

Imagine what it is like when the fog of your circumstances lifts, and you see His hand, not once again at work, but still at work, as it always have been. It's that "ah-ha!" moment when everything kind of shifts back into focus and you see things, not through the foggy lenses of your circumstances, but from the place of a reality where God is still on His throne as He always will be.

I don't think my circumstances have ever truly shrouded my view of Him, but I know it's certainly tainted it. I know that circumstances heavily dictate my view of God and His hand in my life.

Sisters, I'm not ignorant so let me remind you of this, our circumstances don't always change. Sometimes they stay the same. So if the fog isn't lifting, that's ok. But pray that He would let you see the mountains through it. Although it can be so very trying to look for His hand and not immediately see it, He's there. He has not abandoned you. My favorite promise comes straight out of Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart."

Search with all your heart, even through the fog, and you will find Him! <3
I promise, behind the fog, the mountains are there

No comments: