Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Comparing Apples to...Androids?

I was the diehard, hardcore, sold out, 100%, never looking in the Apple direction, Android spokesperson fan girl.

See where I'm coming from here? I was never, NEVER, I repeat NEVER going to have an Apple anything. (except for my dearly loved iPod. But that hardly counts, right?)

I hated the dominance Apple had, and the seeming partnership with Google and the understated agenda of: lets get all up in yo business.

Ok so maybe I had a slightly dramatic view. But somewhat justifiable, no? Apple was weird.

Everything Apple "talked" to anything Apple and I hated that. Like hate. With passion. I have a laptop for laptop purposes, and a cell phone for cell phone purposes. Why on EARTH would I need them to be merged in every little detail of everything? When mom's phone rings, so does her computer AND dad's iPad. Its absurd. And I didn't want that. I guess I like my life more compartmentalized than that.

And then it happened. In the midst of my stewing and fuming against Apple, my Android failed me. And then it failed again. And again. And again. And again. And thus I found myself loyal to a failing phone system. Repeat for emphasis: loyal to a FAILING phone system.

As in, tied to the mast of a sinking ship.

Chained to a pillar in a burning building.

LOYAL TO A FAILING PHONE SYSTEM!

Ok so my drama pendulum has the tendency to swing...well dramatically. But here I sat with the dilemma: what I have doesn't work, and what works is what I hate.

What to do? What to do? The answer was obvious to everyone, including me, and I did not want to admit it. So I started saying things like "maybe when we upgrade this fall, I'll give Apple a shot for a few years." And yet, deep down I knew, I would be making the switch almost totally willingly.

It was during this transition that I was home alone and my mother was trying to reach me. In this moment, my phone and I reached our breaking point. My mom was trying desperately to get in contact with me, and my phone threw one of its weird tantrums and I didn't even receive a "missed phone call" notification.

Basically we lived together for the next few days and then I upgraded. Kicked the Galaxy to the curb and got my hands on an.....iPhone5. (Shocker. As if anyone didn't see this one coming.)

I will take my slice of humble pie large with a side of vanilla ice cream please. Because I have loved it. Its been fine. I don't even miss my Android. Is that awful of me? DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE COMMITMENT ISSUES?! And I learned, that all those irritating connections that Apple makes with itself are kind of optional! (Except for the cloud...still figuring this one out!) Yay!

Anyways. I am no officially a Macintosh user and guess what? I can FACETIME!!!

Signed,
~the Apple Newbie