Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Hey Christians, we're doing it wrong

**DISCLAIMER** This post is not in about tearing others to shreds. But these are things I have on a regular basis seen first hand. It has caused me to change the way that I tip when I eat out, and they way I listen when a friend or customer is talking to me. I simply wanted to call it back to the attention of others, that we have some work to do.
~
~
~

MercyMe droned on in the background as the sweet, modestly dressed young woman slid two $1 bills towards me for her $1.90 coffee. She shifted awkwardly, waiting for me to finish my side of the transaction, and rotated her leather bound Bible so I could clearly see that it was in fact, a Bible. I gave her her $0.10, and she hurried it into her pocket and then over to the corner with her nose in her Bible, coffee cooling on the table. Nothing about this interaction particularly bothered me at the moment, I'm used to people feeling awkward and/or not tipping. It kind of just rolled off my back until a second customer followed soon after who I know for a fact is a professing believer. This time it was a $3.something coffee and a $5 bill. Again they left, again no tip. At this point it bothered me.
~
~
~
A week ago, the shop experienced inexplicable generosity and "loving on" by a local restaurant we've connected with when they allowed us to use their deep freeze when ours crashed (which in case you didn't know, that's bad for an ice cream shop) They then supplied dinner to my family who had worked tirelessly that day to clean up the melted ice cream from the freezer and then transfer the salvageable ice cream to their freezer. We're still in awe that they so willingly allowed us access to their freezer, and gave so much of their time.
~
~
~
I have a customer-turned-friend who is forever offering to pick up lunch for me, just because she knows that she gets out more than I do, and I might enjoy something. Although I haven't taken her up on it yet, she heard me say I couldn't afford a new restaurant I wanted to try, so she popped a $20 in my hand, specifically for this place whenever I get the chance to go. She's heard more than one meltdown rant, shared some shady side eye over really irritation customers, been a comic relief, and we've definitely filled a need in each other for companionship in the shopping strip.
~
~
~
I'm going to guess that someone who preaches karma isn't in an particularly active relationship with Jesus. But if I'm wrong, I apologize. However, the mom sporting her coexist tshirt insisted that her daughter give their change to me as a pay-it-forward to the next customer. It was humbling as the one behind the counter, and humbling for the little girl, and humbling for the young lady that was receiver of the gift.
~
~
~
I've had a lady pay for a $4.74 purchase with a $10 and say keep the change, and a man pay for the same priced drink with a  $20 and again say keep the change, because he just wants to see us succeed.
~
~
~
This is not about the money- the money just happens to be the example. If you look deeper into each example I gave, you'll see that these people have given me so much more than just their money. Some gave time, an encouraging word, or the gift of their friendship.

Why are we as believers so stingy and busy? Why do I see more Jesus style coming from people who do not actively walk with him? Why are believers pocketing their time and money, and keeping their heads down? In case you didn't realize, we're the ones who are supposed to be doing this sort of thing. We shouldn't eat somewhere if we can't afford to tip there- it's not about the money, but believe me, a generous tip is humbling. And your monetary gift my put enough gas in her car for her to get home tonight. If you're too busy, stop it. No one has to be so absolutely busy that they can't just be there for people. We say "oh call any time you need anything" but I'll wager that most of us don't mean it if we think through the implications of what its going to take to actually be there for someone. What if it means using a personal day on someone else? Or getting up at 3am to take someone to the ER, or even just giving up your afternoon to go to that appointment with them.
~
~
~

Jesus had incredible moments of grand gesture love, when what he did was loud, observable, and applauded. But He also loved quietly, practically, and generously. He ate meals with those who's class or reputation was far beneath Him. He talked to and hung out with the outcasts, dirty ones, and lowlifes. When did tangible love become beneath us? When did we stop loving from the overflow of love in our hearts?

We have been so hugely loved, it only seems logical that we would love right back.

To the believers who have "pocketed their change", I love you. And I genuinely hope that you were and are able to bless someone else with your time, because that's what we ought to be doing! I don't have to be nor do I expect to be the receiver of your blessings, but make sure someone is. Let the love Christ has for you burst out of every pore in your being, and love on others. Love freely, love until it hurts. Love until you feel the drain of energy that it takes to truly love someone else. Love completely, love unhindered. I don't care how you do it, just make sure you do. Love, love, love.

No comments: