Monday, October 17, 2016

Monday Musings

Wow what a week this has been!! One week ago today, I was painting a step/stool behind our gelato case in preparation for our "normal business hours" opening the next day. In so many ways that feels like so much longer than just one week. And obviously in others, it seems like I have only been doing this for a week, mostly because of how my body feels. My SHOULDERS are killing me! Which is awesome, who doesn't want to build up muscles you haven't really ever worked, but seriously, want to discover muscles you didn't know you had? Become a barista.

Since I was hired and trained as a barista, its what I've been doing a lot of, but I've been able to scoop some gelato. It's an art, let me tell you. You'd think plopping some frozen milk in a cup or cone would be simple, but it's really not. It slides off my paddle into another flavor, and I greatly admire my sisters and dad for being able to scoop it so smoothly. I'm sure the muscles they're working they're feeling as well! How could you not??

When things get popping around here, I am especially thankful for my little sister who is also trained as a barista. We have a three group head machine (which basically means there's three places where water comes out) and it's awesome since we can each craft a drink and hardly get in each other's way. Makes efficiency easy to attain!

The week has had it's fair share of ups and downs, and our first slow day was almost disappointing. We have since learned however, that Wednesdays just tend to be that way. That was pretty reassuring. However I confess amid the "new" and "exciting" I've had some fear. The previous occupants of this building shut down because they didn't have enough traffic to stay open. What does that mean for us? Well, I don't know yet. What we do have going for us, is they were a three season, walk up that sold ice cream exclusively. We have indoor seating and serve coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. So maybe we'll have some more success? I can only pray!

I have been exceedingly thankful for the friends who have stopped by and sat and chatted for a bit. Friends who have no idea what's going on in the coffee world, and other barista friends. Each have been encouraging in their own ways, and I am so thankful to be so well loved!

Before starting, I was so nervous about crafting drinks, feeling like maybe I wouldn't be able to remember how to construct each one. But not only have I remembered and been able to craft quality drinks, but I've been able to master several. Milk pouring has become easier, and I even have a bit of a following for one of my drinks! It's been so cool. I've also had customers ask for something that wasn't even on our menu, and there's been some flops and some wins, but learning new ones has been fun! (Ever heard of a red eye? Neither had I)

Overall, I think this is going well. The hours are brutal, because only three of us are here full time. (Little sister part time, and older sister comes after work). I love the work, I love being able to build relationships, but I am tired. It's hard work.

I'm thankful though, for this season in my life, with so much new! So much is changing and going on. It's been a crazy ride, but I am thankful! <3

No comments: