Saturday, March 19, 2016

Dear GrandPa

Dear GrandPa,

You won't read this, and if you do, you won't know who I am. I think for me, that is the most difficult piece about all of this: we know you better than you know yourself.

I sat with you today, and smiled at your "grandpa-isms". It was a lovely afternoon. Thank you for that. I needed to sit with the man I loved and love so dearly. I sat then with happiness, but confess I now am writing through tears.

The last few days have made me consider in detail just why I'm so thankful for you. You may never read this, it will never matter to you, but it matters to me. I don't want to forget anything you have taught me.
  1. Among my earliest memories are the homemade ice cream. An ability you have passed down the line. Pawpaw, you taught me to make ice cream. Thank you.
  2. There is a famous story in our family about the time you broke your ankle and used it for two days anyways. So maybe this wasn't your best move, but Grandpa, you taught me to stay tough through painful things. Thank you.
  3. You enlisted at 17 and fought bravely, at the sacrifice of your own mental and physical health. You taught me bravery. Thank you.
  4. You have lead our whole family in a number of ways. You taught me leadership. Thank you.
  5. You have talked always with love and fear of our God. You taught me to love Him. Thank you.
  6. You have loved on and honored your darling since the day you met her. You have taught me how marriage should look. Thank you.
  7. You are known for your clever one liners, and little rhymes. They're cheesy and silly and give hilarious tidbits of "advice" clothed in humor. You taught me to laugh. Thank you.
  8. No elbows on the table, bow your head when you pray, stand when your grandmother needs a seat. You taught me respect. Thank you.
  9. You find faces in trees, and trees in the clouds. You taught me to be creative. Thank you.
  10. You always asked about my school or my work, depending. You taught me to take an interest in the life of others. Thank you.
  11. As I got older, things started changing. You and Mamaw needed more help, and for a time I would clean your house with you. You taught me how to serve. Thank you.
  12. You whistle all the time. Everywhere, anywhere. You taught me to find and love music and pretty sounds. Thank you.
  13. You go back for thirds and fourths on dessert, you play with our hair, and mimic us when we make girly sounds. You taught me how to enjoy the little things. Thank you.
  14. You took our family on vacation many times. You taught me generosity. Thank you.
  15. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If you don't succeed again, you may be sucking on a seedless orange." You taught me to walk away from doors when they don't open. Thank you.
  16. You started asking questions a lot, repeatedly. You didn't mean to, but you taught me how to answer each question as if it was the first time I was asked. You taught me joyful patience. Thank you.
  17. You were shivering and miserable today, so I got down on my knees to put on a second pair of socks for you. Grandpa, you taught me to be humble.
Thank you for teaching me so much Grandpa. Thank you for letting me serve you today. I'm honored, truly, to be in your family. I love you Grandpa!

No comments: