Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Totality of His Promises

If you're anything like me, you thrive on positivity. Negativity has a huge "weigh-down" effect on your heart, and has at times put me in quite the down mood. Ok fine its made me downright grumpy.

I think it is for this reason, that I personally love and look for the promises of God. For so long I heard people talk about the "Promises of God" as though they were a new Max Lucado book. It has taken me until recent years to recognize that they are not an organized page in the Psalms, but rather little nuggets of hope and truth sprinkled all through His Word. And as this revelation dawned on me, soon I began hearing more and more of said promises.

Sweet little Scripture based one-liners became part of the language I was speaking as I paid more and more attention to them as other people said them.

Just here recently, I was reminded of a very cherished promise: "The Lord withholds no good thing."

Now before I go on, I want to be careful here, because I think often times in the name of "Truth" Christians end up tearing each other to shreds over petty little pet peeves. I don't want to do this. I just want to share what I have learned, and also to allow others to be aware of something that I was not.

So far as I have seen, every promise He gives requires something of us.

Now please don't misunderstand me on this. I am not suggesting, insinuating, encouraging or preaching a works based faith. In fact, just the opposite. What I see required of us, has very little to do with what we are able to do.

Take for example Psalm 63:8. Picked apart, the promise we dish out is "His right hand upholds me." Where this is true, its not the whole verse. The first part of it says "My soul clings to You."

My soul clings.

My hands to not hold, my mind does not set, and my words to not matter. My soul clings.

We are required to CLING to Him.

In just one chapter earlier in Psalm 32:8, we see "God is our refuge." But before the promise of God as refuge, we see both the statement "Trust in Him at all times" and "Pour your hearts out to Him."

We are required to TRUST IN HIM, and CONFIDE IN HIM.

Well what about in other parts of the Bible, not just Psalms? (Though the Psalms do contain an enormous amount of promises.)

Take Proverbs 23:17&18 for example. When encouraging with a promise, most might just state the gist of verse 18 which says "There is a future hope for you and your hope will not be cut off." but verse 17 provides us first with a warning that I feel is key: "Do not let your heart envy sinners. But always be zealous for the fear of the Lord."

We are required to NOT ENVY and to BE ZELOUS.

In Matthew 11:28 we are promised rest, but we are told first to come to Him (all ye who are heavy laden.)

We are required to COME TO THE FATHER.

These are just some of the ones I came across in my search, but there are countless others. And I dare say each promise notes something about us needing to cling to Him, or seek Him, or pour our hearts out to Him.

So often I think we complain about "God not coming through on His promises" yet we are not living like His children. Obedience is so full of joy. And when we shift our eyes away from the life we live so often, and reorient ourselves on the lifestyle He has commanded of us, we soon realize His promises where there always- we were choosing to live in a way where, we could not experience them.

Choose joy. Choose to live in His promises!
(Source)

No comments: