Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Do I really love?

Its a simple question. But it takes a lot of thought to answer.

Do I really love?

The only way to answer this question is to first define love. For me the very definition of love is Christ. But how does that really look? And to answer that, I hit 1 Corinthians. (Thanks to my sister for the inspiration of this.)

I've read the Bible for as long as I can remember. But my sister suggested questioning myself through the passage.


Try it with me.

"Love is patient and kind; Am I always patient? What about kind? 

love does not envy or boast; Do I envy when they succeed, or boast when I do?
it is not arrogant  or rude. Am I rude and arrogant to them?
It does not insist on its own way; Do I want my way only?
it is not irritable or resentful; Am I irritable and resentful to them?
it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Do I rejoice with their truth, or smirk at their wrongs?
Love bears all things, Do I joyfully deal with their "things"?
believes all things, Do I believe them when they tell me things?
hopes all things, Do I hope for their better?
endures all things." Do I give up on them, or do I keep on loving?
(1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

How did you do? To be honest, I didn't like my answers. At first I thought, "Aha! Here's one I don't mind answering: love does not delight in wrongdoings" And then I put some thought to it. Maybe rejoicing in wrongdoings, is the same as revealing them. Maybe it doesn't matter how someone treated me, or did something. Maybe I should just keep it to myself. Venting doesn't always have to include names and details. 

I am learning so much. But love might just be the biggest thing. Love...love isn't a feeling. Its an action, based on faith. And in time, that "feeling" will come. Love is not always returned, not always convenient, and not always easy. But without love, the world would be the most hopeless thing. Ever. Love saved us. Love died for us. How much do we love? I know I don't love that much. 

Here's to learning ever more as we live, learn, and grow! 



 
 "So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

No comments: