Monday, June 16, 2014

Dear Mr. President

Dear Mr. President,

Politics are not my thing. And although I am passionate about many things, I do not often get on soapboxes. But upon a box of suds I am.

I often don't say things because I'm afraid of stepping on toes, or causing an uproar, and its just easier to stay quiet. But keeping the peace outwardly, has only caused me to be upset inside. Upset at a number of things; the circumstances, the people who have caused them, and, if I may be so bold, how you have dealt with them. I know that you have a HUGE weight on your shoulders, being president of the free world. But can I give you a perspective change?

You're like...well like a shepherd to the people of our nation. Not to dominate and dictate, but to protect, and guide. Now I already said I'm no politician, but you should be protecting your "sheep" and not just not allowing wolves in, but not throwing us to them either.

A few weeks ago, something really terrible happened. Halfway across the world in Nigeria, girls were kidnapped and sold into the slave trade. Am I validating that this is ok? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I don't care who you are, or what you believe, it was inhumane and wrong. However, it took very little time for the White House and your wife to jump on the bandwagon and the #bringbackourgirls movement. I'm sorry...our girls? It was terrible, horrific, and awful yes, but those girls are not our girls. They are Nigeria's girls. Their family, roots, and citizenship is Nigerian, not American. (Disclaimer: I know that the #bringbackourgirls was an international movement, and not an American-specific thing.)

But that's ok. It tugs at the heart strings of any human who has a heart because, it happens and it's horrible. However, since they aren't Americans, I want to talk about someone who is.

Saeed Abedini. Melting pot America has a number of names that sound foreign, but this man is in fact, an American citizen. He should be being protected by all that that entails. And yet, he is not. He is sitting in an Iranian prison, being tortured for his faith. Why? Because he is a Christian. I bet you two things if he were of any other faith:
1) He wouldn't even be sitting there.
2) If he was, you would be doing whatever it took to get him out.

I get that as Christians we are labeled close-minded and a number of other unpleasant things, but good shepherds should not withhold from their sheep just for that reason.

This AMERICAN man is an amazing husband, and a daddy to two. His kids have done so much life without him, and she is not a single mom by choice. This has got to end now. How come it took no time to jump on the #bringbackourgirls and over a year for you to make a phone call to Iran? I'm just wondering here, since he is an American. Be loud! Say something! Do something! This man needs medicine and home and his family. If you don't like that he's a Christian, fine. I'm not asking you to. But where's your sense of humanity? Please Mr. President. Help by doing YOUR part to #SAVESAEED.

~Another American citizen.

2 comments:

Kimber Scotland said...

Amen! And don't forget, Mr. President, about Meriam Ibrahim and the Marine imprisoned in Mexico...they matter too!!
Hope you and your family are doing well, Maddie!
Kimber :)

Kimber Scotland said...

Are you going to mail this to Mr. President? You should. But if you did...he probably wouldn't care or pay attention to the problem you revealed.

Lord, help Mr. President to WAKE UP! Realize he needs YOU. Realize he's a sinner like the rest of us! Realize he needs to stop injustice from continuing!

.....There are some things that just get on my nerves....this is right up there with the best of um....

Hope y'all are doing well. See you next Thursday!! :D

~Alexis