Monday, April 14, 2014

Happy Birthday to a Treasure

As one of the most influential persons in any family, mother's should be celebrated whenever possible. They should be cherished and honoured at all times. I confess that I do a sorry job displaying this conviction, but here we are on my own mom's birthday, and I'm looking to give her a place of honour here on my blog.

So readers, I give you, my mother:

My mom has been my biggest/most influential:
teacher, trainer, support, cheerleader, mentor, and the most abundant holder of wisdom. When I think well enough to quit flappin' my jaws, I find that she has some very good truths to share, and I learn so much from her. I'll bet she doesn't know this, but I learn more from her, when she's not even trying to teach me. Her testimony is how I have learned how to act and react. By watching her, I have learned to mirror her behavior, as many kids have their moms in the past. I am only so very thankful that my mom is a woman of character. When I think of my mom and her testimony, I think of Proverbs 31:23:
 
"Her husband is known at the city gates
        when he sits with the leaders of the land."

Out of all the verses in the most famous passage on women in the whole Bible, why this one?  

Because my mother does this well

As is natural with any relationship, not just including but especially marriage relationships; one or both parties may get irritated, frustrated and dare I say even angry. But my mom, never talks bad about my dad. She never gossips about what she's irritated with, never complains about what he left our or put away wrong. Never talks down about him. Instead she'll laugh things off with comments like "oh that's just your daddy!" And with a smile, she goes about taking care of what needs to be done. My mom honours her husband all the days of her life, and this has been the biggest lesson to me. So obvious with how she loves him. And it truly does flow over into the reputation of my dad.(His birthday is later this week, so more on him later! :) But people love him! Like, absolutely adore him. And I think, in addition to my dad's amazing personality, is his perfect-for-him helpmeet, paving honour before him. I believe that partly why people love him so much is because my mom has talked about him with honour, love, and respect. A man so loved must surely be worth it, and because of my mom's way with words, when people are around my dad there's a foundation of respect for him, that my mom has laid. And it has built in me a deep respect for him. I take my cues from my mom and learn everyday how better to do it.

I can come up with a million more reasons why my mom is cooler, more awesome, special, and all around more fabulous than all the others, but that list could go on forever. 

All of this was just to say to my mom, a very special, wonderful lady, happy birthday! No woman deserved to be more honored on her birthday than you! I can think of no more appropriate blessing than this:

"The Lord bless you, and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine on you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance on you,
And give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-23) 

Love, 
Your one and only Snooks

No comments: