Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Re: Halloween: Jesus and Jeans Part 1

You won't find me engaging eagerly or quickly on facebook or other social media in debates, but my blog is the place where I share freely and openly about how I feel about (certain) things. Although I don't blog for the purpose of getting a lot of recognition, it is encouraging or cool to me when I do get a lot of traffic or feedback on it, especially since I love writing, it means a lot when I know someone has read what I took the time to write.

On Sunday afternoon, after reading it to both of my parents and getting their feedback, I published what may be my first, very controversial article. (Yes, I said "first" because I hope to write more conversation-starting articles soon.) And can I just say, that this was probably one of the most exciting things I have ever done? I knew that my post might not sit well, but I did know that it was going to get some feedback, and the idea of hearing from people and getting conversation going was part of my goal. I'm not out to change peoples' minds, but I do hope to get people thinking a little, since I notice one of two things happening: people are so locked into what they "believe" that they refuse to listen to what anyone else have to say that may differ even a little. Whatever anyone else says is wrong, and I think we need to listen to each other more. You don't have to agree, but listening is always a good idea. The other reason I want to get people thinking is because I've noticed the church slipping more and more into mediocrity. And with that mediocrity is a resistance to uncomfortable truth (this time it just happens to be the topic of Halloween, but I've seen it slowly creeping in other areas as well.) An uncomfortable guilt seems to come over Christians as they squirm in their seats trying to defend their "traditions". I hear things such as "its just for the fun of the candy" or "but my kids want to dress up" or even "I don't want my kids to miss out" I understand (most of) these things, really I do. But to any parents caught between right/wrong and not wanting your kids to miss out, please know, as an adult who never participated as a child, my life is plenty complete without it, and I never felt like I was missing out as a child. My parents did not scar me. :)

In part of the feedback from my post I was questioned about the "middle ground" I had mentioned and realized, I never did address that directly. After discussing it with my mom and one of my sisters, I decided that this is the best way I know to explain it, but bear with me, it maybe is not my best explanation ever.

Our country is a melting pot. There are so many religions, nationalities, cultures, languages, and worldviews that make up our own culture. This to me is both sad and cool. But the truth of the matter is, we're made up of so many different things go on. One group in our country celebrates Ramadan; another Passover and Hanukkah; still others celebrate things like Kwanzaa or Lent. The cool thing about our culture is not everyone participates in everything. The above listed things are not traditionally celebrated by Christians, and I think that Halloween should be among them. The day exists. It IS a celebrated holiday and I recognize it as such. My family doesn't die on that day. We continue to live. Its a normal day for us. We did watch our first Christmas movie on that night, and set up our thankful craft for the season. But we didn't "hide". Our only living space is on the front of the house, and we went right on living. When we have had kids ring the bell in years past, sometimes we have just answered and said "Sorry, we don't pass out candy" and I guess after 10 years in the same house, kids now just know not to come here because in the past few years we've had little to known show up.

In dialog with someone about the idea of Halloween, and my blogpost, I decided this is the best way I know to sum up my last post: It is my personal conviction that Christians shouldn't observe Halloween. But not all believers are at that place, because its my conviction.

1 comment:

Kimber Scotland said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Maddie! :) I get it & agree. I like how you pointed out the fact that there are other holidays that Christians don't celebrate (maybe lesser known, but still holidays none-the-less). Parents probably never have to explain to their children why they don't celebrate (for example) Lent, because they probably have never known anyone who does. It leads me to think that it is more about going with the flow, not looking different, serving the god of the stomach (Galatians 5:16), and making sure their kids "fit in". Oh dear..."FITTING IN"...heaven forbid that our kids don't look and act like everyone else's! Don't they know the verse(s) about being in the world and NOT of it? (Romans 12:2, John 15:18-25) What about our light so shining before men, that they may see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven? (Matthew 5:16) Some would argue that in order for others to see our children's lights we need to place them in the world where people could see them. To a certain extent, yes, we are to be in the world- But NOT OF. We can be lights they see from the outside (by not participating in whatever un-Christian event it is) making them curious to come towards the light and ask questions. THEN is our opportunity to witness because our light (Jesus in us) was set apart, different, and un-tarnished by any participation. Who would want to listen to a hypocrite? "I'm here participating so I can tell you why it is wrong to participate in un-godly practices such as these." What?! Yeah, that definitely wouldn't work for me. We are also to resist the devil and flee from temptation. (James 4:7) So if your children are participating...so much for the excuse that they are trying to be a witness to others! Last but not least...Ephesians 6:10-18. That says it all.

Have a blessed day! :)

Love in Christ,
Alexis

Ps- And yes, these are my views...you can help sharpen me if you see I am wrong (according to scriptures) in some area and I'll do my best to look at your side of the story as well. (Proverbs 27:17, 1 John 4:1)