Thursday, December 8, 2016

Moonless Seas

Where I have decided to forego the most popular form of social media (ahem, facebook) I have not altogether walked away from it. And today, I am thankful for that. I have a wise friend who posts an impeccably well balanced amount of humor and nuggets of truth. Most days her Hallmark hastags make me laugh, but today, she shared an Elisabeth Elliot quote, and it caused me to ponder greatly the words she shared:

"He is not all we would ask for (if we were honest), but it is precisely when we do not have what we would ask for, and only then, that we can clearly perceive His all-sufficiency. It is when the sea is moonless that the Lord has become my Light!"

Wow. The words gripped my heart and squeezed until I was tender enough to gasp at my arrogance, my insufficient "self sufficiency", my total disregard for how truly sufficient He is.

I think I *know* He is sufficient, but as she said, it seems to be only when He has denied, taken away, or temporarily withheld something or somethings from me, that I begin to see just how sufficient He is.

But I have a confession: sometimes He says no, He takes away, and He withholds, and I still think something else is the ticket. I still deny that He is sufficient enough for me. Sometimes my world is completely dark, and I still deny His help.

May this be a caution we take to heart dear sisters, that we not make our hearts go that far before we lean into Him for His sufficiency.

No comments: