Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Finding Stillness

The ac finally cut off. It's been roaring for what seems like forever. Isn't it funny how irritating sounds like that are when you don't need whatever it is making that sound? (As in, I'm freezing right now.)

I'm the kind of person that generally loves sound. When I'm home alone, I will often cut the TV on in the living room, and have music playing in the kitchen while I work because I like having sound. I don't like feeling like I'm alone. Even though I love my alone time, I like it better when there's people in the house. You get me? I like being by myself a lot, but I like knowing there's people around. So sound satisfies when I am home by myself.

And yet, sometimes the noise is endless. Sometimes it drones on and on, pounding in my ears, relentless. Sometimes I can't handle it. Sometimes the ac makes me what to smack its creator.

I think the need for silence is God given. I think we shove so much down our throats and into our ear canals that we stop hearing Him. And yet He waits as patient as He was yesterday, and will be tomorrow, beckoning us gently to a place of silence and stillness with Him.

"He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth.'" (Psalm 46:10)

We are a people so full of sound, we forget the stillness He calls us to. Honestly, I have no extensive point for this post, I'm just straight up too tired so this is about as deep as it's getting.

Cut the TV off, turn the music down, sit before the Father. Be still before Him. He is God. He will be exalted.

No comments: